Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Testing IP banning in Blogger Beta

Update: 1 November 2006. The site that help generate script to ban IP address (actually a redirect) is no longer online when I checked sometime ago. However, people take their sites offline for various kind of reasons, and may put it back online again. If you are desparate to ban someone, you can try the method described in the post below.

I wrote a post on IP banning in this post How to ban a person from your blog or Website. It involve putting a code into the template. However, adding code into beta blog template is a different kettle of fish, and I want to test to see if adding the code via "Add a Page Element" will work, and I am going to ban my own IP. I am going to try it now.

Well, it worked. After successfully adding the script (Add a Page Element), then when I try to save the Layout, an error message appeared "An error occurred. Please try again). I didn't do anything, but the thing still worked. I tried to get into this blog (in another tab). I saw my page momentarily, then was redirected to another page (which you can choose). It put a button IP address blocker in my sidebar (saw it momentarily) which will no longer be visible when you view my blog as I am going to remove the script when I finish this post. (Turned out the IP blocking is actually a redirect). I don't want to ban myself from my own blog permanently.

So, even if your blog is a Blogger Beta blog, you can block people from viewing your blog by placing the IP block. Just follow the method outlined in How to ban a person from your blog or Website

7 comments:

benning said...

I can see where that might be useful if you get a few too many trolls!

Unknown said...

I dont get it where can we use it??

Manature said...

Hi Marvin,

Follow the link to "Toolshell IP check and IP ban" and generate a script there. Then put it into a HTML/Javascript Page Element.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Blogger Tips and Tricks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at testing-blogger-beta.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Oliver

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at testing-blogger-beta.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
William

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Try this: Test PHP script to blog IP address

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at testing-blogger-beta.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Alex