Sunday, May 20, 2007

Testing to see if images, when deleted, will also be removed from the Web.

In Old Blogger, after you upload a picture, irrespective of whether you delete the picture from the post or delete the whole post itself, the picture will remain on the web. I believe that is no longer true for New Blogger and I am going to test it in this post. I will post a picture of a castle beside the Sarawak River in Kuching, Borneo Island, Malaysia below:

(photo deleted 24 May 2007)

This picture will be deleted in a few days tine. To enable you to see if the picture is still on the web, I put the URLs of the picture in the scrollbox below:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgjW7tWZHdgVpl2MfHo2mzYb5i60cJxcyXMXgVXWiWo3P3ng7ibZCZob3lCViX8O6xX9E6Y5j9ZeRiK0_WfMpsvvthV7WZWPCoW94W1LOJihmLhceLldvY4pweBWK-Mby-LeehL2cE9Nm5N/s1600-h/CastleBySarawakRiver.JPG

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgjW7tWZHdgVpl2MfHo2mzYb5i60cJxcyXMXgVXWiWo3P3ng7ibZCZob3lCViX8O6xX9E6Y5j9ZeRiK0_WfMpsvvthV7WZWPCoW94W1LOJihmLhceLldvY4pweBWK-Mby-LeehL2cE9Nm5N/s400/CastleBySarawakRiver.JPG

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgjW7tWZHdgVpl2MfHo2mzYb5i60cJxcyXMXgVXWiWo3P3ng7ibZCZob3lCViX8O6xX9E6Y5j9ZeRiK0_WfMpsvvthV7WZWPCoW94W1LOJihmLhceLldvY4pweBWK-Mby-LeehL2cE9Nm5N/s1600/CastleBySarawakRiver.JPG


Update: 26 May 2007: The first link resulted in a webpage displaying the photo. The second and third link lead to Microsoft Photo editor displaying the photo. Looks like I will have to test the links again because if I am not wrong, the Blogger Help page said they will be removed from the web after 24 hours. I have made another post with a picture which will be deleted, and for record purposes, I put the picture URLs below in a scrollbox:

First URL in the picture HTML
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sEyw6txVACs/RlccmyTd7tI/AAAAAAAAAi4/u2P8voCElgc/s1600-h/delete+photo.jpg

Second URL in the picture HTML
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sEyw6txVACs/RlccmyTd7tI/AAAAAAAAAi4/u2P8voCElgc/s400/delete+photo.jpg

By clicking on the picture and viewing Page Source
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sEyw6txVACs/RlccmyTd7tI/AAAAAAAAAi4/u2P8voCElgc/s1600/delete%2Bphoto.jpg


Update 11 June 2007: The result for the first test is still the same. First URL led to a photo on the web, second and third URL led to the photo being downloaded, with the second URL giving a smaller image and the third URL giving a larger photo.

For the second test (post deleted), first URL led to a message [delete+photo.jpg]
and second and third URL led to error message:

Not Found
The requested URL /s400 was not found on this server.

I want to test again because it has come to my knowledge that when you delete a post with photos, there are options of whether to leave the photo on the web or delete them. It could be that in my deleting post test, the options were below the fold and I did not see it. So I am going to publish another post with photo and then delete the post. Will report again the result.

Update 11 June 2007 (second update): I published a post with 2 images. The URL of the photos are in the scrollbox below, with the first URL being the first one in the HTML for the image (same as the URL you will see in the address bar when you click on a picture), the second being the second URL in the image HTML and the third the actual URL of the image which you get by selecting VIEW > PAGE SOURCE in the menu bar of the browser when you are in a page with just the image:

URL of image to be retained
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEibi06v9wsXf7TSLQAHnmoq7_BPMdbC7V1NrM3lQCDQLEsAdc2e42ud4SLkAYPhWY8QYAR6tkZOflNAg7is7KVpc_WxQOMOiKs7iHAtBhZ0aOJd68kGAmbANLSr8IIp_Gn86KvCCsl4GjjB/s1600-h/Blogger+Contact+Us.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEibi06v9wsXf7TSLQAHnmoq7_BPMdbC7V1NrM3lQCDQLEsAdc2e42ud4SLkAYPhWY8QYAR6tkZOflNAg7is7KVpc_WxQOMOiKs7iHAtBhZ0aOJd68kGAmbANLSr8IIp_Gn86KvCCsl4GjjB/s400/Blogger+Contact+Us.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEibi06v9wsXf7TSLQAHnmoq7_BPMdbC7V1NrM3lQCDQLEsAdc2e42ud4SLkAYPhWY8QYAR6tkZOflNAg7is7KVpc_WxQOMOiKs7iHAtBhZ0aOJd68kGAmbANLSr8IIp_Gn86KvCCsl4GjjB/s1600/Blogger+Contact+Us.jpg

URL of image to be deleted from web
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sEyw6txVACs/RmxlveFJmSI/AAAAAAAAAjc/Ty9kAyh5GXg/s1600-h/amazon+gift+ideas.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sEyw6txVACs/RmxlveFJmSI/AAAAAAAAAjc/Ty9kAyh5GXg/s400/amazon+gift+ideas.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sEyw6txVACs/RmxlveFJmSI/AAAAAAAAAjc/Ty9kAyh5GXg/s1600-h/amazon+gift+ideas.jpg


When I delete the post, the following options appeared and it was right above the fold, very visible. So it must have been introduced after I did the earlier test, otherwise I would have seen it:

options available when deleting New Blogger post wih photos

I have deleted the post, with one to keep and the other one to be deleted. Let us see what happens after 24 hours.

Update 13 June 2007: I tested the photo URLs above and for the URLs of the photo which I opt to be retained when I deleted the post, the photo could still be seen on the web or can be downloaded. For photo URLs above for which I opted to be deleted, they resulted in a [something] dispalyed (no photo, but cannot copy and paste for Flock browser I am currently using), or resulted in a 404 Not Found error message. You can copy the URLs, paste them in the browser address bar and try them yourself.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your comments in some Blogger Help Group, and I thought this could be interesting for you: I have this bad habit of uploading images that I finally will discard. The thing is that I´ve done that tons of times to get a nice header, but always deleting the post (with the url of the image), and the image does continue to appearing in my blog (good for me). But time has come I decide to upload a new one. And it seems to me that the old image keeps on being saved in the server, and I can´t do nothing about it. Even with the New Blogger it still happens, because I can delete the post but choose the image to stay, and then I may not like it anymore. I´d rather not send out there more rubbish, so if you finally find some way, don´t keep from telling me.

Manature said...

Hi Barbara,

This post is not finish and I think need some editing. I haven't done much deleting photos or posts, so really don't have much real experience to draw from. What I have done mainly is when preparing a post, sometimes I delete the HTML used to display the picture (I always use the EDIT HTML mode, never the COMPOSE mode). I don't know what effect that has on the picture on the web. I have much testing to do and so little time to do it. But it will be done some day.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Blogger Tips and Tricks

Anonymous said...

thanks for your response. and also for letting me know. Have to tell you that when I read it first time, I thought that you were suggesting something like "kid, I don´t care about your bad habits, or whatever, and I don´t have the time to think of it". but I wasn´t asking you for help, although I was for understanding, because I believed you were truly interested in the topic. maybe my "bad" English had something to do with it, and also my Spanish origins. you know, my comment appeared somewhat written in a "too much" friendly way. but then I thought about all the people here in the Internet that communicate in a language that is not their mother tongue, so our mistakes are easily forgiven. so I hope. as I told you before, it would be fine if you find the time to learn about the deleted images and their final destiny, and even more if you also tell me.

Manature said...

Hi Barbara,

I can't remember what I commented in your blog, but if it had somehow sounded unfriendly, I apologise sincerely, for I really have no wish to offend anyone, and it is not my nature to do so. It would help if you can point me to the post where I made the comment so I have the chance to check, to judge, and to respond if necessary.

BTW I have promised in the post to complete the test in a few days from the date of the post, but haven't done so. Sorry. Anyway, I haven't deleted any post with photos yet, but it has come to my knowledge that when you delete a post with photos, you get a message with option to delete it from the web or to keep it. So I really have to complete the test and to update the post. Will probably do that soon.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Blogger Tips and Tricks

Anonymous said...

no, no, I´m terribly sorry for the missunderstanding. in fact, I was apologizing for my first comment, because the style may be not correct. and I also pointed out the contrast between my comment and your response in this blog of yours. and I added the reason for this contrast: possibly our different origins and cultures. nothing else, I promise. and so, I referred to "when I read it first time", meaning that seconds after I read it again, I understood you were as polite as I was. I found the differences somehow funny, so I thought it aloud.
take your time with the testing, and if you kindly tell me, I will be glad to hear from you.
Best regards.

Manature said...

Hi Barbara,

We are all tolerant and hard to offend people. Regarding the further tests, that has been done and post updated. You can find them at the bottom of the post.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Blogger Tips and Tricks

Anonymous said...

so, it seems that images finally disappear, good to know it. and speaking about the so irritating ad that pops up in my blog, I have no idea why the heck it is there, who is taking advantage of the benefits (if there are) and don´t know what to do to remove it. any idea?

Manature said...

Hi Barbara,

Regarding the pop-up (actually pop-under if I remember correctly), actually I am not 100% sure it came from your site. Maybe you can visit your own blog and see if you get a pop-under or ask your friends/relatives to check.

Regarding how, sometimes it is via installing some add-in, etc. Bravenet is famous for this. Did you use anything from Bravenet? It may also come from a virus on MY computer, but haven't got a pop-up/pop-under consistently when visiting other sites. Maybe what I/you can do is to run a virus check.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Blogger Tips and Tricks

Anonymous said...

yeah, I´ve been checking the Google, and it seems that the so called pop-under (never heard that name before, glad to see that I don´t stop learning everyday) comes from the counter service Motigo stats. the funny thing is that I have this service installed on both blogs, and the problem only appears in "Kitsch me, Baby". and using Firefox it doesn´t come up (or under) every time you switch to the webpage. it does with Explorer. anyway, I´ve decided to delete it, and trouble has gone. thanks for the advice

Manature said...

Hi Barbara,

May I suggest Statcounter. I use them for all my blogs and am pretty satisfied as they give me a lot of useful statistics like keyword used in search engines to reach our site, visitors screen resolution (important if a significant % of your visitors are still using small screen), etc. Guaranteed no pop-u/pop-under plus recently they increased their log size for free accounts from 100 to 500.

Peter (Blog*Star 2006 and 2007)
Generating Revenue from your Website

Anonymous said...

yep, I´ve already switched to that one, StatCounter. but thanks for telling.

Anonymous said...

gosh, I finally found the place where Blogger stores the images. it was so simple as the Picasa Album (you only have to access with your google account). now I´m deleting as fast as I can all the images that I don´t need anymore. and I can tell you about several images that I uploaded weeks ago, and were still kept in my database.